Monday, April 7, 2008

Deus Ex..I'm in

Ya know sometimes I REALLY need to start listening to the fine folks at Heroes World. Normally I do but sometimes my brain functions in such a weird way that I really do not listen to it.

That is the case when it comes to Deus Ex Machina. Brian K. Vaughan has been one of the better writers out there in this wonderful world of comics. He consistently came through with Y the Last Man. Why I did not latch onto this sooner is beyond me. I got this sucker on Sunday I finished it today on my lunch break.

Normally when it comes to my comics, I try to steer clear of comics that try to represent real life and the issue we live with day in day out. However, what Brian K. Vaughan and gang have done here is still original. Still fresh and has enough of a alternate reality feel to it to keep you reading.

Our main hero here is Mitchell Hundred. A freak mishap gives him the ability to speak with all sorts of machinery. Not the most amazing powers per se, yet this makes up for some really neat ways in dealing with certain problems that may arise throughout the story. He, along with some friends decided to become a superhero to help New Yorkers out.
With volume one we start to see his trials and tribulations that he goes through in being a superhero and then Mayor of a major metropolitan city. I have only read the first trade but will be moving onto the second and third by weeks end.
When first reading this trade I think the only thing that I was not to interested in was the art. Not saying it is bad, just not the style I am interested in. Yet, it seems that when Brian K. Vaughan picks his artist for his stories. He really does try to find the perfect one for the actual story. It fits perfectly just like the art with Y the last man.

One other thing that I like with this story are the supporting characters. They can make or break a comic. They are engaging and provide enough foil for the main protagonist to move with their story. I am really looking forward in the next trade and this will now be on my pull list Heroes World.
With Brian K. Vaughan and Ed Brubaker, I have found two really good writers that I will always look forward to what they will come out with next. They both seem to get the characters that they are writing for and really keep you focused into their stories that they weave. I highly recommend this trade and comics to anyone that is looking for something that is a little different.
If you were a fan of Y, then I am sure that you will be a fan of this story as well.
T.

No comments: